Search This Blog

Sunday, June 4, 2017

A Meditative Relaxation: For sleep

Relaxation is a word that seems so simple in theory. Just put up your feet, sit back, and relax right? Sure sitting back and relaxing is easy enough for your body but what about your mind? Your brain seems to go a mile a minute. This is especially true when you're trying to sleep. From my personal experience I can't seem to shut off my brain. I can be reading and start to become tired. So tired that I can't keep my eyes open. So, I do what every other person that doesn't want to wake up with their glasses jammed in the sides of their face. I put the phone down and close my eyes. 
With in a few seconds thoughts plague my brain. What do I have to do? Shouldn't I be doing this instead of sleeping? Don't I have things to do tomorrow? Why did I say something a certain way? Etc. The list goes on and on. While reading my brain was distracted. It had something to focus on and it eventually got too tired. When you lay down there's nothing there to buffer you.
 Black emptiness isn't your friend.
To stop the constant ramblings of the inner madness that is my mind, I meditate. Meditation can be used for so many things and is sadly underrated and easily ignored.The biggest gripe against meditating is, "I don't have time to meditate!" Well, Sally, you do now. 
To begin our journey into meditation land, first get into a comfortable position. Normally I would say don't get too comfortable or you'll fall asleep...but being this is a meditation to aid in sleep get in the most comfortable position you can think of. 
Once comfortable, close your eyes. Allow your body to relax and breathe. Focus on your breath. Is it erratic or shallow? Calm or deep? Once you get it to a steady even pace (and if you aren't already asleep) 'feel' your surroundings with your ears. Do you hear a fan, a noise, anything? Do this for a few minutes then push it aside. Allow your mind to drift but instead of allowing the thoughts to form, push them aside. Let the thoughts float before you, see them for a minute, then allow them to drift away. You are in control not the petty little thoughts that demand your attention. 
Normally after doing this for a bit you will either fall asleep or a thought will take over since you are not focusing on anything in particular. This is a normal reaction but because you are so relaxed you will fall asleep. A blissful sleep. May your dreams guide you.

~F.R.


med·i·ta·tionˌmedəˈtāSH(ə)n/
nounthe action or practice of meditating.
"a life of meditation"
synonyms:contemplationthoughtthinkingmusing, pondering, considerationreflectiondeliberationruminationbroodingreverie, brown study, concentrationMore
a written or spoken discourse expressing considered thoughts on a subject.
plural noun: meditations"his later letters are intense meditations on man's exploitation of his fellows"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditation: A Continuation

**Keep in mind that we are not, in anyway, connected to the medical field and it should be specified that these are our opinions, not facts....